Sunday 20 October 2013

YCN Event


YCN Student Awards Ceremony, 3rd September 2013 from YCN Student Awards on Vimeo.

The only proof I have (apart from my own images) that I attended this ceremony is displayed at 1.16 on this video, of me taking a photo of my starter with a disposable camera and then doing a little dance. I was THAT excited, which to this day makes me feel overwhelmingly sad about my clearly sheltered existence. I'd really like to thank YCN for capturing it on camera. In all seriousness though, the event was pretty great, and it definitely felt good to have something I had done recognised by Very and YCN as worthy of commendation.

The seating plan also meant that I was sat with designers and employees of Very.co.uk, meaning that in theory I had the chance to network with all of them. In the end, due to both my location on the table and the very loud music playing in the background, my networking options were reduced considerably, although I was able to talk to a couple of more senior members of the team which was useful and nerve wracking at the same time. Going into another situation like this I would have prepared something to say or comment on, as at one point I was asked which fashion brands I personally felt had a strong presence in the market currently, and my mind went blank, only for me to think of the answer after he had left (Netaporter and Mr Porter is what I would have said in case anyone is curious).
Later on in the evening I managed to talk to another member of the Very team, and even summoned the courage to ask for his contact details, and so now I have a business card to prove I managed to do some networking!

No comments:

Post a Comment